The #onebowlmeal is a staple in our home as it is one of the easiest ways to clean out the fridge, feed my husband quickly after he comes home from his morning training session and get all the tenets of a supremely nutritious meal in one dish.
This variation is a less common occurrence in our home, meaning that it contains only plant-based protein. I have friends and clients that are vegetarian and vegan, and I obviously cook a ton of veggies on a daily basis, but I am happily and healthfully an omnivore. That doesn’t mean that a little meatless monday recipe doesn’t happen from time to time, and these crispy chickpeas? They are an every day staple for us.
- 3/4 cup quinoa (dry)
- 4 leaves kale
- 1 carrot
- 1 beet
- 1 avocado
- 1 can chick peas
- olive oil spray
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp feta cheese
- 6 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 small block organic tofu
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Bring a pot of 1 1/2 cups of water and 3/4 cups of quinoa to a boil and then turn to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and transfer to a baking sheet. Place in pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes until chickpeas are completely dry. Cover in olive oil spray, black pepper and rock salt. Return to oven for 15 minutes, stirring twice until chickpeas are crispy.
- Chop small block of tofu into bite sized chunks and saute in a small frying pan sprayed with olive oil spray on medium heat for 5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Chop kale, tomatoes and avocado. Grate beet and carrot.
- Assemble each bowl with the cooked quinoa on the bottom, the kale, carrot, beet, avocado and tomatoes as the next layer and top with crispy chickpeas, tofu, pumpkin seeds and feta.
- Top with dressing of your choice when you are ready to eat! My favourite is always olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon and balsamic reduction.