My nutrition and exercise coaching clients know all about our ‘non-negotiable’ foods. These are foods that we are not willing to give up on our quest to greater health and fitness.
We know that restrictive dieting does not work in the long term so we must find ways to have our favourite foods to stay satisfied. I believe that gives us two options. You can either healthify your favourite recipes or find a way to not have them daily!
Well one of my non-negotiables is a good muffin. I’m not interested in living without muffins in my life. So, I got down to work and made a low-starch, moderate protein and full of flavour muffin. Here you go:
- 2 1/2 cups ground nuts (I used almonds, but you could try walnuts or pecans.)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- After grating zucchini, pat with a paper towel to remove excess water. Combine all wet ingredients (minus the blueberries) together in an electric mixer and combine.
- Add ground nuts and baking soda to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in fresh blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!