Maybe it’s because we’re still in the thick of winter, but lately I’ve been craving some of my summertime favourite foods. This Roasted Corn & Black Bean Salad is a go-to when we’re heading to a potluck or when I’m looking to do a bit of food prep on a Sunday (any given Sunday, not only during the summer). It lasts for a few days in the fridge and the flavours of lime and cilantro are oh-so-refreshing.
An added benefit of this salad is that it can be a complete meal – tons of fibre from the veggies and some protein from the black beans. Personally, I would add a barbecued chicken breast on the side, but do with it what you will!
- 4 ears corn or you can use 1 can of corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- splash olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 can black beans
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 2 limes freshly juiced
- fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- Roasting the corn takes this recipe to the next level! Heat oven to 350F.
- Slice corn kernels from the fresh ears of corn, toss in a olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Sprinkle with chili powder. Roast corn in oven for 12-15 minutes stirring a couple times to ensure it does not burn. Let cool and drizzle the juice of one half of one of the limes over top.
- Rinse black beans and drain.
- Finely chop peppers, tomatoes, onion and as much fresh cilantro as you like!
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, mix together, add fresh lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- The flavours really come alive in this salad the following day, so feel free to make it ahead of time, pop it in the fridge and enjoy 12-24 hours later.